All that glitters is not gold! Sometimes it can even be mites. Yes, you heard it absolutely right.
However, mites are almost impossible to see with the naked eye. But there are some species of mites that glitters and which you can even see with the naked eye.
You will be surprised to hear that these glittering mites can also be quite harmful.
Today in this article we will know about the mites that look like glitter How they cause damage and how to get rid of them.
So let’s start and first get to know about these glittering mites.
4 Mites That Look Like Glitter:
There are four species of mites that people think of as glitter. Because they look just like glitter. So let’s know about their names and their behavior.
- Dust Mites
- Mold Mites
- Demodex Mites
- Brachychthoniid Mites
1. Dust Mites:
A lot of people ask this question “Do dust mites look like glitter?”
So the answer is yes they glitter.
As the name suggests, these mites are attracted to dust and thrive in places where there is dust.
They are translucent in color and their size is almost one-quarter to one-third of a millimeter.
Their main hiding places are beds, mattresses, couches, dirty clothes, bedsheets, rugs, etc.
You will never see dust mites sparkle in artificial light. It glitters when sunlight falls on it.
Therefore, most of them can be seen glittering during the day instead of at night.
You must be thinking that why do dust mites start glittering as soon as sunlight falls on them?
This is because dust mites continuously absorb and release moisture from their bodies. When they release the moisture, their body glows like glitter as soon as the sunlight hits them.
Where Do Dust Mites Come From and When?
Like termites, dust mites also thrive in hot and humid environments. That’s why you can mostly see them in the summer season. And in winters they completely disappear.
It thrives in places where there is dust or dirt. Such as mattresses that have not been cleaned for a long time, unclean couches, dirty sheets, or old cleaning cloths.
Are Dust Mites Harmful to Humans?
Yes, Dust Mites are harmful to humans?
When you inhale the skin or excrement of dust mites, you can have the following types of allergic reactions.
Itchy throat, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, coughing, burning eyes, rashes, etc. And if you are an asthmatic patient then you may have more problems with dust mites. Because it triggers asthma.
How to Get Rid of Dust Mites?
Vinegar is the main natural remedy for killing many types of pests. It also works well on dust mites.
So let’s know step by step how you can get rid of dust mites with the help of vinegar?
Step 1: First, you have to fill undiluted vinegar in a spray bottle.
Step 2: Now spray it in an adequate amount wherever you find the possibility of dust mites to be there.
Step 3: Let it sit for about 12-15 minutes. After 15 minutes wipe it with a soft cloth and then rinse it with the help of a wet cloth and let it air dry.
This method helps to get rid of dust mites on tables, floors, windows, and other hard surfaces.
For laundry, you can put white distilled vinegar in the washing machine and run it at 130 degrees F. It helps in removing dust mites from sheets, clothes, etc.
Note: Between 4-10 percent concentration of vinegar works well on dust mites. More or less than this will be infective on them.
2. Mold Mites:
The body color of mold mites is typically white or tan and is also slightly shiny. Due to the shiny body, when any light falls on them, it creates reflection and they start sparkling like glitter.
While dust mites only glitter in natural sunlight, mold mites can also glow in artificial light. So they can be seen glittering even during the night.
Like dust mites, mold mites also like excessive humidity and moisture. In such a situation, bathrooms and kitchens are heavens for them.
Not only this, but mold mites also infest wet furniture and rotting grains. That’s why they are also called grain mites and wood mites.
Where Do Mold Mites Come From and When?
As experts say, mold mites feed on fungi, yeast, and molds so wherever they find this stuff they infest it instantly.
Fungus, yeast, and mold only show up in extreme humidity, so if your home doesn’t get enough sunlight and is over-humidified, your home can attract mold mites.
Like dust mites, mold mites are also most active during early summer and late fall. And the most amazing thing is that in winter they do not die but become inactive and wait for the temperature to rise.
Are Mold Mites Harmful to Humans?
So far no such study or research has come out in which it is known that mold mites have caused any harm to human beings.
Mold mites do not even bite, but if their feathers stick to your skin, then there can be a problem like skin irritation, itching, or rashes.
But it can be more irritating to those who are mold sensitive. Those people may have problems like chest tightness, sneezing, nasal congestion, watery eyes, etc.
How to Get Rid of Mold Mites?
Let us know step by step how you can easily get rid of mold mites naturally.
Step 1: First of all, identify the places where you suspect the presence of mold mites and you can also use a magnifying glass to confirm if you cannot see the mold mites with the naked eye.
Step 2: You can use white vinegar or baking soda in kitchens and bathrooms. Take an equal quantity of baking soda or white vinegar with water in a spray bottle.
Step 3: Now spray it wherever you see fungi patches of mold mites. And leave it to sit for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, scrub it with the help of a wet cloth or toothbrush.
After doing this treatment, if you have a dehumidifier then use it.
And if not, then open the windows of your room for 2 to 3 hours and turn on the fans for good cross ventilation and to remove the humidity.
Note: Be careful not to use bleach on mold mites. And if you want to get rid of mold mites on furniture, then you can use a disinfecting furniture cleaner. The vinegar method will not work on furniture.
3. Demodex Mites:
Demodex mites are slightly different from dust mites and mold mites. Because these mites thrive in the hair and eyelashes of humans.
These are almost impossible to see with the naked eye, hence they are also called microscopic parasites.
But like dust mites and mold mites, they also glitter when light falls on their body. Then they can be easily seen.
Demodex mites survive by eating the dead cells of your skin, so in a way, they are also beneficial. Every human has some amount of Demodex mites.
Where do Demodex Mites Come From?
Experts say that when the skin changes due to age or due to stress and some disease, then the infection of Demodex mites increases. Research shows that people who have rosacea have 10 times more Demodex mites than normal humans.
Are Demodex Mites Harmful to Humans?
Demodex mites are beneficial for humans in small amounts as they remove dead skin cells. But if these mites are in excess, they can cause many skin-related issues such as acne, rosacea rashes, and dermatitis patches.
How to Get Rid of Demodex Mites?
If you feel that Demodex mites are growing on your skin or eyelashes, the first thing you should do is consult your doctor.
At the same time, keep in mind that stay away from oil-based skin cleansers and makeup.
Wash your eyes with lukewarm water twice a day and if you have these mites on your face, then clean your face with a non-soap cleanser two or three times a day. By doing this the Demodex mites do not grow rapidly and you get enough time to treat them.
4. Brachychthoniid Mites:
Brachychthoniid Mites are translucent golden in color and you may not have heard much about them because they are not so common.
Due to having a golden color, when light falls on their body, they also glitter. Although they are very tiny, up to about 0.1 mm. That’s why it is not so easy to see them with the naked eye.
These mites are found in dry coals and soil. And these mites are found more in Australia than in the United States. No specific study or research has come to the fore about whether it is Harmful to Humans or not.
Apart from their golden species, purple and orange species are also found, but they do not glitter as much as golden species shine.
As we hope you are now aware of the mites that look like glitter. Some of these are Harmful to Humans and some are not Harmful at all. But the farther away from them, the better. Because we do not like to share our house with slimy mites.
If you see glitter-type mites like this, don’t avoid them. Because they spread the infestation very fast and the earlier they are controlled, the better it is.
You can also read: Are Spider Mites Harmful to Humans & Can Spider Mites Bite?